Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Five Day Weekend

So I'm still loving my job and the kids, even more so because Spanish students are always having some holiday that doesn't require them to be in school, so this was a five day weekend for me. In America, it's called Columbus Day, but here its called Dia de la Hispanidad, acknowledging Spain's influence in South and Central America. So on Friday, I went out to a club for the first time here. Unlike in NY, their metro doesn't run all the time: it closes at 1:30 am an then opens up at 6am. So the young Spanish people leave their houses to catch the last metro at 1:30 and then party hard till 6am! I was sooo skeptical at first, but when in Spain, right? So after having a good time at the club with friends (besides almost dying from the continuous smoke all around me) we ended up leaving around 5am, only to wait for an hour for the metro! I don't know how long I'll be able to do this for, these Spaniards are hard core partiers!

So on Sunday, I ended up going to Segovia, a town about an hour and a half north of Madrid. It was gorgeous! They had a huge castle, cathedral and ancient Roman aqueducts from the Roman influence in Spain thousands of years ago.I absolutely love seeing things like this throughout the world and it's made me so interested in history, which I never liked before. Segovia is also full of tiny narrow streets, which I'm still shocked as to how cars fit. Maybe because their cars look like this!



Here are a few of the many pictures I took of the beautiful Segovia:











No comments:

Post a Comment